This has nothing to do with quilting, but I just had the gut feeling I need to get this off my chest so everyone understands.
I work at home and I feel very blessed to be able to do so. I have been working at home for over 15 years now, but here is the problem...
People who work in the corporate world think this is what I do all day:
- Sleep to noon.
- Watch TV all day long eating cake and ice cream.
- Take naps whenever I feel the need.
- Clean house or do laundry (Really????)
- Quilt all day.
- That it is easy working from home.
- No one holds me accountable to anything.
- I work 10-12 hours every day who has time for naps!!!!! or TV!!
In the corporate world you work 8 hours a day.
- I am always at work
In the corporate world once those 8 hours is up, you get to walk away and close the door and go home.
- I work 7 days a week most of the time
You work 5 days a week.
- I eat whenever I have an extra minute
You get an hour long lunch for the most part and some of you even get paid for that hour.
- I have deadlines like no other and have to meet them! If I don't, I don't get paid. I lose a client, which means my pay goes down
You have deadlines too, but if you don't meet them you still get paid and still have a job.
- I do make my own schedule
You work when your boss tells you, so I'll give you this one, sort of.
- I pay for my benefits
Some of you do too, but some don't, so again, I'll give you this one.
- I don't get paid holidays or vacation time.
At most corporate america jobs, you get a week paid vacation after a year.
- When I'm sick, I still have to work
At most corporate america jobs, you get to call in sick even when you aren't.
- On days that is snows and the weather is too bad to drive, I still have to work because I'm home
You get the day off to enjoy the snow and go do whatever you like around the house that is fun.
- I can work my schedule around my daughters or granddaughter or husband, so I'm there for them when they might need me.
- I can, if I need to, throw a load of laundry in the washer or dryer during the day.
- My work can go with me if I need to travel somewhere else for a few days.
- I can work outside when it is nice if I really wanted to.
- I can work in PJ pants and a t-shirt or hoodie.